Wednesday, May 2, 2012

musical musings


The Tao Of Tasty Brushwork


If I were a jazz pianist I would

                have already paid my dues in one lump

sum on a tip from some country singer

on his way down who gives me the shirt

off his back, a Nudie with piping

that gleams and plenty of rhinestones that

catch the stage lights just so and sweep

in reflection across the polished

planes of my 1890 Rosewood

Steinway Grand Modal C,

                A real beaut with a pedigree, one

I won’t fail to mention from the

stage in the second set during the pause

between How High The Moon and

I Love The Life I Live

from behind a bobbing cigarette,

sharing the remarkable fact  

that this is the very same piano

Mose Allison once played in a week-long

stand at the Blue Note in 1962.  Later

                in the set I’ll work Jimmy the

trumpet player’s name into a tune

and trade winks with the guy on stand up

bass, the drummer oblivious; lost

to us all in some very tasty brushwork. 




1 comment:

  1. love this. beautiful words, beautiful images.

    ReplyDelete