Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Can't Get It Out Of My Head



Red Rubber Ball

A cure or the way forward
through thorny negotiations
a plan to feed the multitudes bob
in the moat that rings my fortress of sleep. 

I stagger over the drawbridge
to the land where dreams go to die
by a thousand cuts from the first
keen rays of dawn and steal a glimpse

back like Lot’s yearning wife only to see
them all turn to salt before my eyes
save for the pop song Red Rubber Ball
The Cyrkle’s one big hit, summer ‘66. 

I drink my coffee gazing out
on the feeders to a biblical plague
of Farfisa organ under three part
harmony.  A cardinal averts his eyes

while I mouth the words, cursed, helpless:
“now I know you’re not the only starfish
in the sea, if I never see your face
again it’s all the same to me something

something the morning sun is shining
like a red rubber ball.”, a simile
that still holds up after all these years
three minutes and a hook that endure. 


No comments:

Post a Comment