Tuesday, February 25, 2014

repost



He Could Play His Guitar

just like ringing a bell, a sound
that carries clean across the decades
to where I laze on a sunny afternoon

in late winter, licks I fend off
half-heartedly, only to give in in
the end.  If I only had a Fender

Telecaster with an old tube amplifier,
K model Lansing speakers crowding
the dog’s bed, I would plug in,

wade into the days final rays
streaming through the window, my axe
lit up like J. Robert Oppenheimer

boiling in the glow of the Trinity test.   
I’m sure the dog would loft a lighter 
to the wind milled power chord

I’d sustain in a kabuki
of feedback, baptizing the pickups
in a Jordan River of looped amplification,

touching off a small fire moments
before smashing everything to kindling.   
My audience demands an encore so I open

my book in the waning light and leave her
wagging for more, “Now I am become Death,
the destroyer of worlds,” echoing in the empty hall. 









No comments:

Post a Comment