Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Progress is key



Keyhole

Why, you ask, am I down on my knees
A man my age, eye pressed to this door
Cold brass knob soothing my fevered brow

Striking a pose as contrived as a Rockwell
Cover for The Saturday Evening Post
Defunct, both of them, going on forty years now

Vanished as clean as the skeleton key
That fit this keyhole like a glove in 1923, back
When they still wore gloves in the evening

Satiny white fingers closed around a bulbous
Nose, the narrow face, patrician mouth
Frozen in a puritan pucker of disapproval

A car, maybe a Hupmobile, idling
In the drive, implacable behind
Pince nez lenses and cold chrome smile.

Help me to my feet, get me to my chair, fix me
A muddled Old Fashioned and I’ll tell you
What I read in the paper, the print version

Last flickers of life leaching away through my fingers. 
Keyless they say in the next ten years,
Nothing to jingle in my pocket when

I’m ready to leave or fumble on the porch
On a moonless night, left to squint through a slot
At the blue blur of a receding world. 







No comments:

Post a Comment