Tuesday, February 3, 2015

rework



Red Rubber Ball

A cure or a way forward, a plan
to feed multitudes or tweeze out
peace in our time bob in the moat
that rings my castle of sleep. 

Over the drawbridge I stagger to where
dreams go to die by a thousand cuts
from the keen rays of dawn, steal a glimpse
back over my shoulder like Lot’s wife

only to watch them turn to brimstone
before my eyes, all except, that is
Red Rubber Ball, summer 1966
The Cyrkle’s one big hit. 

I drink my coffee gazing out
on the feeders to a biblical plague
of Farfisa organ under three-part harmony.
A cardinal averts her gaze while I mouth

the words, incantation of the helpless
“now I know you’re not the only starfish in the sea
if I never see your face again it’s all the same to me
something, something, something

da da, da da, da da
the morning sun is shining like a red rubber ball.”
a simile that’s held up rather well over the years
three minutes and a hook that endures.

No comments:

Post a Comment