Wednesday, December 11, 2013

We all use plumbing



Breaking News

Waiting at the counter for a set screw
I couldn’t help but overhear the guy
next to me buying a pair of threaded
PVC cleanout caps admit he was
that guy, the local television
personality Whozits from News
At Six or maybe Eleven, BREAKING
NEWS! by the looks of him, not the mundane  
kind, you know, a Shelby Township woman’s
lonely crusade to put angels on the
ballot, the Wixom man who claims drones
spy on his tree blind north of Rose City. 

Winded cameraman on his heel, framed
but just barely, bullying his way
into a non-descript Keego Harbor
strip mall pain clinic, man in a lab coat
hiding behind a manila file
folder, his Kitty Hawk comb over
lifting in flight above endless dunes
of no comment no comment no comment.

On our way out I held the door, clutching
my set screw in the other hand.  He
cradled his cleanout caps and fumbled
with his keys then asked me if I knew
where he’d parked his truck.  In hindsight a
rhetorical question, but I sped
away, cap brim pulled down over my eyes
silently mouthing those two familiar
words that precede the weather report. 

No comments:

Post a Comment