Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Who Knows Where the Time Goes



Richard Thompson at the Ark, March, 2014

Among orderly rows of gleaming knobs
tufted with gray I spotted one
black beret sported in homage;
only the one.  Two, and I would’ve

sneered fan boys.  Three or more
may well have sent me to the merch

table for my very own one size fits all,
content to listen beneath my black
butter pat to his rapid stage patter
in that sardonic brogue,the one 

that doesn’t vanish into thin air 
when he sings.  Brass tacks driven

through a Celtic cross on a cold damp 
night in the lee of a peat warm pub
comes to mind when he plays;
1952 Vincent Black Lighting

in a torrent of notes, thrilling, like watching
a man on a wire working without a net. 

Who Knows Where the Time Goes, in
dedication to Fairport mate Sandy Denny,
Beeswing for those of us who like
our wry leavened with wistfulness. 






No comments:

Post a Comment